Thursday, December 7, 2017

Ending of an era in St. Louis gaming....

Ken Lambing, former owner of the Hobby Shop, died due to complications from liver disease Wednesday morning, December 6, 2017 at a local hospital.  He had been in failing health for sometime.  He will be missed...

I first discovered miniature gaming in 1990 when I went to the Hobby Shop for the first time.  I got into WH40K by buying space marines and eldar squads.  That's when 10 figures were $13.50 for a squad of ten.  Now it's $35.00 (US) for ten plastic space marines.  And the figures were metal then. 

Soon after discovering WH40K, I started collecting SPACE: 1889 British and Martian infantry.  I still play WH40K.  And I'm blossomed into a huge 28mm late Victorian era wargamer.  Most of my armies are designed for The Sword and The Flame or Chassepot and Needlegun.

Ken Lambing and I loved WWI.  I wrote (more like bastardized) a 20mm house-rules called "No-Man's-Land" because there wasn't any commercially decent rule systems available at the time.  I still have the rules.  They'll never get published, however.  And will forever remain "house rules."  But my 20mm WWI armies have long been sold off...

Et lux perpetua....
Blake

2 comments: