Sunday, June 22, 2014

Review of Warmachine Prime MKII: Steam-Powered Miniatures Combat

Title:  Warmachine Prime MKII:  Steam-Powered Miniatures Combat
Publisher:  Privateer Press.
Copyright:  2010.
Pages:  256.
Price:  $29.95 US (softback).

Overview:
I bought and went through the Warmachine Prime MKII:  Steam-Powered Miniatures Combat rules.  I'll say they are thoroughly written and developed.  I like that.  The examples are easy to follow.  It's spelled out what you can and can't do.

Each Warmachine army has a warcaster who controls steam-powered robots named warjacks.  There are also solo characters and units can be added to an army.  The point values for normal Warmachine play are 35 and 50 points.  Each figures has a card telling what it can do and any magical abilities.  You win the game when you kill the warcaster.  There are different scenarios you can also play.

I got into Warmachine by accident.  I traded a WHFB Warriors of Chaos army for a Menoth Protectorate army.  There are several different factions in Warmachine.  I have the angry Catholics who cleanse everything with fire.  There are also Cygnar, Khador, Cryx, Retribution, and Mercenaries.  I bought a Mercenary army as my second faction.  I have yet to put them together.  I first have to paint and assemble all the Menoth Protectorate models first.

I'm lucky there's a community of Warmachine players here in St. Louis, MO.  I've learning to play on Wednesday afternoons/evenings at a local shop.  Instead of FOW, I'm now playing Warmachine because that what the majority of other gamers are playing.

There are numerous gaming systems besides WH40K.  Warmachine is the best play tested and tried.  I've enjoyed the games I've played.  But the system rewards an aggressive play style.  Keep that in mind if you decide to invest in it.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment