Thursday, October 29, 2015

Late October 2015 reading...

I've been sidetracked the past two weeks.  I haven't gotten the reading I hoped to get done.  I'm only a third of the way through Vicky Peterwald:  Target.

I did finish another chapter this afternoon in "Beyond the Reach of Empire:  Wolseley's Failed Campaign to Save Gordon & Khartoum."  I'm now at page 170.  It doesn't paint a flattering picture of Sir Garnet.  I'd love to say something stupid in a fake English accent to liven thing up.  Alas, I won't.  I finished the chapter with the Camel Corps marching across the desert trying to reach Gordon in Khartoum.  It's like watching Titanic.  You know how it'll end.  However, you keep trudging through in the hopes of learning something new.  I've learned something new all right.  Never underestimate the stupidity of Victorian imperialism.  Or was that the Italians at Adowa?

Anyway, this one will take a while to finish.  I'll write a formal review when I'm done reading it...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment