Sunday, October 28, 2012

How I spent my weekend

My painting projects have come to a complete halt.  I don't have any brushes of note to finish my 28mm 1870 Prussian brigade.  I've destroyed the Winsor Newton Series No. 7 000 brushes I use for fine detail work.  I don't know when I'll get around to ordering them.  And the holidays are quickly approaching.  I don't know how much free time I'll have to complete any painting projects.  This has been a concern of mine throughout the fall.  Time is the one quantity I don't have a lock on.  As I shut down my painting drive, I did get a 28mm Copplestone German colonial officer done this week.  I also started a Reaper 25mm samurai lord.  That has been the extent of things...

However, I got side tracked with the Russo-Turkish War of 1877.  I googled it and read some articles online.  I need to get an Osprey for uniform guides of the different combatants.  This is another side project down the road of Victorian conflicts I game.  I pride myself as a late Victorian wargamer.  My various projects are intertwined with British colonial conflicts in Africa and other nefarious European colonization projects in the Congo and German East Africa.  When I look at the $1200.00 I've spent on GW figure cases, most of it is for Darkest Africa/British Colonials.  I thought about getting another British Colonial/Darkest Africa project going.  I've gaming interests in Egypt, South Africa, and now the Sudan.  I then started looking at the Russo-Turkish uniforms and especially the Turks. 

These uniforms look familiar...  So I put together a 25mm Russo-Turkish War of 1877 house rule system using The Sword and The Flame.  I just have modified off of some rules I'd worked on for the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05.  I then played around with The Miniatures Page.com and looked up any posts for the Russo-Turkish War of 1877.  After finding the Yahoo Users Group for the conflict, I joined and was asked by the moderator to post my preliminary rules on their website.  I toyed around with it some more and then posted them there this afternoon. 

Now, I am at a quandry.  Do I spend the money I was going to buy my next miniatures project for the Trojan War?  Or do I switch over to buying 28mm Russians and Turkish forces?  Or do I see about getting some 28mm Sudanese Madhists?  Where do I spend my X-mas money for myself?  Decisions.  Decisions.  All the while, my 28mm FPW project flounders for lack of good brushes. 

Part of my problem is I'm too ambitious.  I have too many projects going on at once.  And my lack to time is now catching up to me.  At some point, I should say enough.  I've reached that point today.  I like history too much for my own good.  I'll get back to my 28mm FPW project in late December/early January 2013 once I've survived the holidays.  Even I play 40K, the latest antics of GW are causing not to buy any more figures.  If I didn't buy any more Citadel figures, I can easily spend another $400.00 on figure cases and foam for my remaining figures and vehicles that need to be painted.  I could also spend another $150.00 on GW vehicles.  I also need to spend another $50.00 a Chaos Space Marines codex.  The cost of this is literally killing my finances.  I really can't keep up with it.  It's getting more price effective to work on an obscure 19th century gaming project like the Russo-Turkish War of 1877 in 28mm than buy another space marine or xenos army.

And I'm curving back my ambition.  I'll paint whatever 40K armies I have.  I just won't add to them.  So I guess I'm done buying Games Workshop.  So that leaves me with what historical projects I want to undertake in the next several years.  I think I'll do 28mm Russo-Turkish War because its different and I can use The Sword and The Flame for gaming it.  I also think I'll get 28mm Trojan War figures from Old Glory in the spring of 2013 and have my final 28mm ancients project ready it time by 2014.  The 28mm Franco-Prussian War project can see me through for 2013.  Assuming the world doesn't end in December 2012 and I am not the victim of a zombie outbreak.  I'd hate to paint for brains!

No comments:

Post a Comment