Saturday, November 24, 2012

Flames of War Playtesting, 24NOV12

My friend Steve Hood (Combat Colours on The Miniatures Page.com) decided to playtest the basic Flames of War bootcamp rules today at Wargamers' Cave in Granite City, IL.  I thought it would be a small affair.  There were at least a half dozen people turning out for it.  I decided to pass on playtesting, though.  I'll get a chance to play FoW later with Steve, Curtis Turner, and Joe Collins (Hostile Contact and Sapper Joe on TMP).  Steve ran a early war 1941 Eastern Front scenario with his new armor.  He hadn't a chance to work on his infantry.  I believe that is his next project for 2013. 

From what I could tell, the basic FoW rules are similar to WH40K with a you then I go activation style system.  Shooting and close combat is the same as WH40K.  The system is designed for company level actions.  Steve was trying historical scenarios without the point system.  My friends in Ames ran 5000-7500 point "evil vs. evil" battles on the Eastern Front between the Soviets and Germans.  I never played in their games, but they were able to fight large scale engagements with little problems.  Steve should have similar luck if he sticks to historical scenarios.

As I've said previously, WWII isn't my cup of tea.  I am more interested in WWI.  There aren't all the cool toys in the Great War as there is in WWII.  But I don't like playing WWII Germans.  I feel they were definitely on the losing side of history.  Too much of my judgment is colored by the Nuernburg war crime trials.  I'll still play WWII.  I just won't collect anything for it....

Here are a couple of photos I took from the Flames of War playtesting at Wargamers Cave in Granite City, IL today:





 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Blake, wished you had stayed to play! It was a fun game, and the system moved along nicely. Curtis even accused me of "acting like the judge" :))) (even though we were all new to the rules), I was feeling that comfortable with the game mechanics that we players soon felt we could do a lot of the combat resolution on our own.

    ReplyDelete