Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Review of Osprey MAA No. 481: The Spanish Tercios 1536-1704 (ebook)

Author:  Ignacio Lopez.
Title:  Osprey MAA No. 481:  The Spanich Tercios 1536-1704 (ebook).
Publisher:  Osprey Publishing.
Copyright:  2012.
Price:  $11.49.

Overview:
This Men-at-Arms Osprey covers the Spanish Tercios 1536-1704.  These 3000 man units were made of pike, sword and bucklermen, and arquebusiers.  The Spanish used these infantry units to fight off heavy cavalry and defend themselves from other enemy infantry units.  The tercios were the forerunners to the infantry battalion/regiment other nations would soon adapt.

The tercios came into their own during the third Italian Wars between Spain and France.  They continued through the rest of the 16th century into the Thirty Years War.  The Bourbon monarch finally disbanded the old tercios in favor of the French infantry regiment during the War of Spanish Succession.

The beginning tercios wore civilian clothing.  They eventually evolved into military uniforms during the 17th century.  A tercio was normally divided between 1/3 pike, 1/3 swordsmen, and 1/3 arquebusiers/musketeers.  There are color plates in this newer ebook format.

Given the ease of electronic download, I still prefer having a hard copy of my Ospreys.  Call me old fashioned, but I like being able to go back to the hard copy and seeing what I'm doing when I'm painting.  I can't quite do that with an e-reader like a Nook.  But that's my only complaint.  Given the fact I'm running out of room for books (like Sapper Joe).  The more newer books I can read electronically, the better off I'll be in the long run.

Recommended for fans of the Renaissance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment