Sunday, April 10, 2016

Mid-April 2016 reading...

I spent the weekend reading and watching television.  I read some more in Titan by Stephen Baxter.  I'm now at page 268.  I'll try and get the rest of it read next weekend.  It's overdue for a blog review.  I'm disappointed the number of casualties the American astronauts take.  It's a small mission to begin with. 

I know the dangers inherit in interplanetary travel.  People will get killed settling the frontier.  I don't think it needs to be so dramatic.  I also know Baxter was trying to sell books.  So that was included.  The idea of America abandoning a crew of its astronauts because the country turns isolationist, I have a hard time dealing with.

There's also a lopsided naval war between the US and China over Taiwan.  To add more drama....

I also read 35 pages in Analog Magazine May 2016 issue.  Most of it was a short story about future alien archaeologists who dig through the Earth looking for remains of human culture.  This was an interesting piece.  It had an unique premise.  The aliens evolved from small animals living today to become intelligent species.  This is after humanity left the Earth for the stars.  One of the better shorts I've read so far this year....    

No comments:

Post a Comment