Saturday, April 9, 2016

Scott McCoy, 1970-2016. RIP.

My friend of fifteen years, fellow gamer, and all around WH40K tournament organizer Scott McCoy of Aftton, MO died of a massive heart attack, Friday, April 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM local time.  He wrecked his car while driving in Sunset Hills, MO.  Scott was dead before making it to a local hospital.  He was 46.

I found out about it yesterday afternoon.  When I learned about funeral arrangements, I emailed and called people this evening.  I'm still in shock about his death, but not surprised.  Though it saddens me to say that. 

Scott was a successful computer network technician who spent the last fifteen years of his life taking care of his elderly mother who had dementia.  During the last several years, he worked as a publicist for Willow Tree Press.

Though I played WH40K with Scott, he gave me grief for my first love, historical wargaming.  He'd collected Space Marines and specifically Dark Angels since the Rogue Trader days.  Scott had a massive horde of Imperial forces.  I never got to see his entire collection.  Scott also dabbled in 30mm Warmachine.  He had Trolls and Protectorate of Menoth.  I learned to play Warmachine with Scott once WH40K fell out of favor.  Scott hated the way GW and WH40K in general were going.  He'd stopped playing as a way of protesting what the company became.

Scott used to run WH40K tournaments for Miniature Market here in St. Louis, MO.  He despised 7th edition WH40K and the whole power schlock army builds.  However, Scott was a sucker for mega-army deals.  He had enough assembled Space Marines to paint for five years.  This doesn't include the plastic sprues NIB.

I guess unpainted lead won't save you from the Grim Reaper. 

RIP, my friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment