Saturday, January 11, 2014

Reading Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs

I decided to learn several foreign languages later this year.  One of those languages is ancient Egyptian.  I bought several books on learning to read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs for beginners.  I need to buy more books before I start teaching myself to read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.

I'm wondering how much of a challenge this will be with my dyslexia.  But I'm up to it.

For the record (in addition to English), I took several years of German in high school and three semesters of Latin during my undergraduate years.  I don't know how much help they will be for me to learning reading middle Egyptian.

Here are the books I've bought so far:

1)  How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs by Mark Collier and Bill Manley.

2)  Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics by Sir. E. A. Wallis Budge.

I'll see how this project progresses as I get more books...  

1 comment:

  1. Interesting project to tackle. Other than the general experience of learning a language (Spanish and German for me), I wouldn't think any modern languages would help much with hieroglyphics and a 3,000 year old non Indo-European language! :-)

    It should be interesting, though! Good on you for tackling it.

    ReplyDelete