Saturday, December 1, 2012

Gaming Blues and Resolutions for 2013

I am wrapping up my gaming for December 2012 next weekend.  I am running another 28mm Darkest Africa game at Wargamers Cave on Sunday, December 9th at 1 PM.  Afterward, my friend, Don Cox, and I are calling it quits until January 2013.  I should be scheduling games for next year.  I haven't.  Even though I assume the world will continue and I'll get bills each month, I'm am uneasy about Friday, December 21, 2012.  I don't think anything will happen.  But who knows?  Anything is possible. 

If I didn't spend money on myself, I wouldn't have any gifts for myself that I wanted.  So I did the responsible thing and bought presents for others.  I have gifts for my family.  Now, I feel I can spend on myself.  I caught up on spending with the purchase of a half dozen books.  Most are Ospreys.  Two are actual books.  I could have bought a Nook for my troubles today.  I wanted hard copies for my bookshelves.  I focused on the First World War.  I bought Ospreys on Dunbar 1650, Russo-Turkish War 1877, First Ypres 1914, and the Belgian Army in World War I.  I also bought a book on Cattleya Orchids and another book on the German Army on the Somme 1914-16

I also got my friend, Don, a check for some 25mm Trojan War figures from Old Glory Miniatures.  I would have rather had 30mm Redoubt Enterprises or 28mm Wargames Foundry Trojan War figures.  Old Glory Miniatures is what I can afford.  This is my entry in 28mm ancients.  The problem is I love too much ancient history.  I settled on the heroic Bronze Age and the gates of Troy.  I would have liked to expand my collections to include New Kingdom Egyptians and Hittites.  There is a limit about what one can do.  I would have loved to gotten into 28mm Greek Successor States with Hail Caesar!  Now I am going to game Warhammer Ancient Battles 1.5 with 25mm Trojan and Greek armies.

Alas, I never did get done with my 28mm Franco-Prussian War project.  That is for 2013.  I should be more realistic and gentle with myself about getting things painted.  The 25mm Trojan War figures can wait for the autumn of 2013.  They shall be here collecting dust whether I get them painted or not. 

There are 500 figures in this 28mm FPW project.  There are another 300 figures in my 25mm Trojan War collection.  It took about 14 months to get 380 Zulus done.  It was one of those things I questioned my sanity when I got halfway through.  Colonials are great.  It's the painting that's the problem.  My painting speed has increased.  I just have too many other things competing with my attention.  I got fed up painting 144 figure 28mm 1870 Prussian infantry brigade.  I switched over to a 16 figure 28mm 1870 Chassuers d'Afrique cavalry regiment.  I should have that done in about three weeks.  I started on it early this morning.  I'll be working on it as the weeks progress towards X-mas.  The 28mm 1870 Prussians can be finished in January 2013.  There are other projects I'd like to attempt.  28mm Darkest Africa Masai, 28mm Sudanese Ansar, 28mm Russo-Turkish War 1877, and 28mm Western Front 1914.  Even if I bought figures for the 100th anniversary of WWI.  I wouldn't get them painted in time for August 2014.  It would have to wait until the fall of 2015 before I could do anything with them.  I do have a method to my madness.  It's just finding the time to get them completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment